The Chatillon-DeMenil Mansion
The Chatillon-DeMenil Mansion is located in the Benton Park Neighborhood and is a St Louis Landmark as well as being on the National Register of Historic Places. It was originally built in 1848 by Henri Chatillon as a 4 room brick farmhouse. Later it was sold to Dr. Nicolas N. DeMenil in 1856 who updated the home in 1861 and had it turned into a Greek Revival Mansion. The property stayed in the DeMenil family for 3 generations until 1929. After almost being torn down because of Highway 55, The Landmark Association decided to buy the land and home and restored the home to it's former glory. In 1965 the Chatillon-DeMenil Foundation took control of the Mansion.
Structurally, the Mansion today is as the DeMenil family left it in 1929. All the ceiling medallions, marble mantelpieces, front hall parquet floor, and front hall chandelier are original to the house. Most of the furniture is dated between 1830 and 1880, with some original DeMenil pieces. Wallpapers, curtains, and carpets throughout the house are reproductions of original designs.
Visit the Chatillon-DeMenil Mansion
The Chatillon-DeMenil Mansion holds many events through out the year and can be toured for an admission fee on several days of the week. A gift shop, a cafe, and the largest permanent collection of memorabilia from the 1904 World's Fair is also located at the Mansion.
3352 DeMenil Place
St. Louis, MO 63118
Chatillon-DeMenil Mansion Related Links:
Photo Gallery for Chatillon-DeMenil Mansion - click thumbnails